Okay, we all know that in modern society, people will tell you that computers are the answer. They will tell you that it will be a great job opportunity. Some people tell you the opposite. Regardless of this, teenagers spend A LOT of time surfing the web, and in some cases, learning on the web. Everyone has different interests, and many decide they want to program, either to have fun or to hack, it is important to take the right procedure. Well, if you want to have a job with computers as a programmer, you should learn a programming language. There are many to choose from, and the ones covered in the HF Programming, Coding, and Languages Section are listed below.
Programming Languages Covered on HF
- Visual Basic and .NET Framework Visual Basic .NET (VB.NET) is an object-oriented computer programming language that can be viewed as an evolution of Microsoft’s Visual Basic (VB) which is generally implemented on the Microsoft .NET Framework. Microsoft currently supplies Visual Basic Express Edition free of charge.
Information: Tutorials and coding help for Visual Basic is here. Microsoft’s event driven language using the COM model. Also included are the .NET Framework topics. C# topics should be here too.
Guide: All HackForums VB source codes & tutorials!
- C/C++/Obj-C Programming C is one of the most popular programming languages of all time and there are very few computer architectures for which a C compiler does not exist. C has greatly influenced many other popular programming languages, most notably C++, which began as an extension to C.
Information: A forum for the entire family of C/C++/Obj-C coding. Gain help on compiling, objects, classes, and functions.
The Complete C++ Guide
- Batch ,Shell, Dos and Command Line Interpreters A command-line interpreter (also called a command line shell, command language interpreter, or abbreviated as CLI) is a computer program that reads lines of text entered by a user and interprets them in the context of a given operating system or programming language.
Information: For any hacker the base of their coding should be CLI. The knowledge of the command line is crucial to being a legit hacker.
- Java Language, JVM, and the JRE A Java Virtual Machine (JVM) enables a set of computer software programs and data structures to use a virtual machine model for the execution of other computer programs and scripts. The model used by a JVM accepts a form of computer intermediate language commonly referred to as Java bytecode.
Information: Write once and run anywhere. That’s Java. This is the forum for Sun’s popular language. Java is one of the best Object-Oriented Programming languages available today. Learn more here.
.: Compilation of Java Guides and Resources :: Navigation :.
- PHP Development PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor is a widely used, general-purpose scripting language that was originally designed for web development to produce dynamic web pages. For this purpose, PHP code is embedded into the HTML source document and interpreted by a web server with a PHP processor module, which generates the web page document.
Information: For PHP classes, functions, and development discussions we ask you post here. PHP is the #1 used web language and is easy to use. Its strength is it’s simplicity.
PHP MySQL – Beginners Tutorial
- Python Python is a general-purpose high-level programming language whose design philosophy emphasizes code readability. Python aims to combine “remarkable power with very clear syntax”, and its standard library is large and comprehensive. Its use of indentation for block delimiters is unusual among popular programming languages.
Information: Python is one of the most powerful adaptable general purpose languages. We have this forum specifically devoted to the Python language.
[Tut] Fundamentals of Python 2.6
- Assembly Language and Programming An assembly language is a low-level programming language for computers, microprocessors, microcontrollers, and other integrated circuits. It implements a symbolic representation of the binary machine codes and other constants needed to program a particular CPU architecture.
Information: For low-level machine coding please use this section. Topics include instructions mnemonics, memory execution, and opcode.
Poll: [Tutorial] Assembly Language Basics Tutorial w/ SCREENSHOTS
- Perl Programming Perl is a high-level, general-purpose, interpreted, dynamic programming language. Perl was originally developed by Larry Wall in 1987 as a general-purpose Unix scripting language to make report processing easier. Since then, it has undergone many changes and revisions and become widely popular amongst programmers.
Information: Perl is an old language that’s flexible, powerful, and versatile. Even though it’s dated from the 80’s today it can be used for a large number of useful scripts. The power behind Perl in undeniable. Post here for Perl help.
- Delphi Object Pascal refers to a branch of object-oriented derivatives of Pascal, mostly known as the primary programming language of Embarcadero Delphi. Pascal compilers, including those for Object Pascal, generally run very fast while producing highly optimized code.
Information: This forum is setup for all Delphi programming threads. Delphi is perfect for rapid development with its integrated IDE. Its Rapid Application Development tools are key to success.
- Lua Coding Lua is a lightweight multi-paradigm programming language designed as a scripting language with extensible semantics as a primary goal. Lua has a relatively simple C API compared to other scripting languages.
Information: A smaller lightweight language mainly used most often for game programming. Lua can be used for standalone purpose with its simple procedural syntax.
- Coding and Programming Ruby, ASP and other programming languages not covered in the other forums should be posted here.
Choose a Programming Language
Okay, so now that you know the programming languages covered on HF, you might ask yourself.. now what? Well, my advice is to pick one programming language to start with. Trying to learn too many at once when you start out will give you some trouble. Browse through each one and see which one you like the most!
Well.. if you got this far, congratulations! Here are some handy hints to set you off on a great path of learning a programming language. First of all, do not give up. At times, it may seem like you are getting nowhere. Don’t worry! Think of it as learning a foreign language, you won’t be able to speak it fluently only after a week will you? Of course not! Same goes for Programming. You will not know everything about a programming language until after some time. Second, take small steps. If you are completely new to programming, do not try to tackle a big project right away, you will only get discouraged. Take it at small steps, because remember, it is like learning a new language, it will take some time. Just stay determined, and take it easy, and you will do great.
Another thing you may want to do is find and read various e-books on the programming language you want to code in. By searching Google you can find many e-books for your programming language. There are many e-books out there, if you do not understand one, try another! But never give up.
Which to start with?
Many of you might have read through the thread but are still wondering, which programming language should I start with? Well, if you are not too serious with programming, or want easy GUI (Graphical User Interface) you should choose VB.Net. An easy programming language that is also powerful would be Python. Both are good for beginners, but I believe VB.Net teaches bad habits.
Thank you everyone for reading this guide on picking the right programming language. It is designed to help those who want to start programming, but do not know what to do.
Sources and Notability
A few clippings here (‘information’ sections) were taken from Wikipedia.
The ‘Important Threads’ are property of their respective owners.
Thank you all. If you have any corrections to this, please tell me.
Also, if you have any suggestions or threads you would like linked, tell me.